An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Frequently Asked Questions

Choose a topic to view answers to common questions related to the JTR and travel policy. Access more than 800 additional FAQs [login required] in the TraX Knowledge Center.

FAQ | Feb. 1, 2024


A receipt is always required for lodging, regardless of the amount. Receipts are also required for all other individual expenses of $75.00 or more.

The DoD Financial Management Regulation, Volume 9, Definitions states: “A legibly written/printed/electronic document (or facsimile thereof) provided by a service provider or vendor to a customer, which provides documentary evidence that the service provider or vendor has been paid for services or goods, provided to the customer.” To be considered valid, a receipt must include:

  • Name of the entity providing the good(s)/service.
  • Date(s) that the good(s)/service was/ were provided/purchased.
  • Price of the good(s)/service, any tax levied, the total monetary amount due.
  • Indication that the total monetary amount due was paid.

See the What is a Valid Receipt? [PDF, 4 pages] information paper for more details.

If you lost a receipt or it was destroyed, the first thing you must do is contact the merchant to request a duplicate receipt. If that request is denied or you are unable to contact the merchant, you may in most cases provide a statement in lieu of actual receipts. These forms are available from the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS).

The Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) provides a Statement in Lieu of Actual Receipts [PDF, 1 page] as well as a Statement in Lieu of Acceptable Lodging Receipt [PDF, 1 page].

Your Service or Agency may require use of a specific form instead of using the DFAS forms. Check with your Approving Official to determine Service or Agency specific requirements.

No, JTR, par 010301 does not allow the use of a lost receipt statement as a substitute for an online-booking hotel receipt.