An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Frequently Asked Questions

Choose a topic to view answers to common questions related to the JTR and travel policy. Access more than 800 additional FAQs [login required] in the TraX Knowledge Center.

FAQ | Oct. 3, 2022

Temporary Lodging Expenses

Temporary Lodging Expense is an allowance that partially reimburses a Service member for lodging and meal expenses while staying in temporary lodging, in the CONUS, during a PCS. Temporary Lodging Expense may not cover all lodging and meal expenses incurred. See JTR, par. 050601.

Step 1: Determine the daily lodging ceiling and meals and incidental expenses rate. Multiply the percentage in the table in question 4 below by the applicable locality lodging and meals and incidental expenses rates prescribed in the Per Diem Rate Calculator.

Step 2: Determine the lodging cost. Compare the actual daily lodging cost, including lodging tax, to the lodging cost ceiling found in Step 1, and use the lesser amount.

Step 3: Determine the gross daily equivalency. Add the Step 2 result to the Step 1 daily meals and incidental expenses rate.

Step 4: Determine the applicable daily rate. Compare the maximum amount of $290 with the Step 3 amount. The Temporary Lodging Expense amount is the lesser of these two amounts.

Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) may be authorized for 7 or 14 days, depending on the location of the new Permanent Duty Station (PDS). See JTR, Table 5-13 for detailed information on authorized TLE locations and time limits. See Locations with Approved TLE Extensions [PDF, 2 pages] for locations where TLE may be authorized up to 60 days.

A Service member is reimbursed at a percentage of the locality per diem rate for the temporary lodging location. The number and age of the dependents staying in temporary lodging determines the applicable percentage. Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) reimbursement must not exceed $290 per day. See JTR, par. 050601-B4b for more detailed information on TLE reimbursement.

Number of Eligible Individuals Occupying Temporary Quarters Applicable Percentage
One individual (Service member or one dependent) 65%
Two individuals (Service member and one dependent, or two dependents) 100%
Each additional dependent 12 years of age or older 35%
Each additional dependent younger than 12 years of age 25%

Yes, a Service member or dependent must provide itemized lodging receipts to receive Temporary Lodging Expense. See JTR, par. 010301 for receipt requirements.

No, a Service member may not receive both Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) and per diem for Permanent Change of Station (PCS) travel time on the same day. TLE may be paid for any day that per diem for PCS travel time is not paid, up to 7 or 14 days. See JTR, par 050601-B. See Locations with Approved TLE Extensions for locations where TLE may be authorized up to 60 days.

Temporary lodging is lodging that is used as a temporary place of residence, such as a hotel. Temporary lodging includes temporary lodging facilities operated by a Service. It does not include permanent-type residence quarters occupied indefinitely at a new Permanent Duty Station or designated location. See JTR, Appendix A for the definition of a “temporary lodging facility.”

Temporary lodging must be in the vicinity of the old or new Permanent Duty Station, the home of record, an initial technical school, or a designated place. See JTR, par. 050601-A.

Yes, a Service member must use available Government quarters in the vicinity of the old or new Permanent Duty Station, including temporary lodging. If Government quarters are unavailable or nonexistent in that location, the Service member must provide a non-availability confirmation number generated in the lodging reservation process. The non-availability confirmation number is required to receive payment for commercial lodging, or reimbursement is limited to the Government cost or the locality lodging rate, whichever is lower. See JTR, Table 5-16.

An acquired dependent who becomes a Service member’s dependent before a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) order’s effective date is eligible for Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE). An acquired dependent who becomes a Service member’s dependent after a PCS order’s effective date is not eligible for TLE. An acquired dependent is an individual who becomes a dependent through marriage, adoption, or other action during the current tour of duty. A dependent or child born of a marriage that existed before the beginning of a current tour is not considered an acquired dependent. See JTR, Appendix A for the definition of acquired dependent, and JTR, Table 5-12 for eligibility criteria.

Yes, a Service member may receive Temporary Lodging Expense only if the Service member must occupy temporary lodging because Household Goods (HHG) have not been shipped from the old Permanent Duty Station, HHG have not been received at the new PDS, or the family-type Government quarters are undergoing repair or renovation. See JTR, Table 5-16.

If a Service member or dependent stays with friends or relatives, then the individual receives only the meal portion of Temporary Lodging Expense, with no lodging reimbursement. See JTR, par. 050601-B4c(3).

A Service member receives a Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) when entering active duty at the first Permanent Duty Station (PDS). TLE is not authorized when leaving active duty and moving from the last PDS. See 37 U.S.C. § 474a.

Yes, Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) and Temporary Quarters Subsistence Expense Allowance (TQSE) may both be paid as long as the payments (TLE and TQSE) cover different expenses. A Service member and the Service member’s spouse may not receive duplicate payment for the same expense. See JTR, par. 010302-A, par. 053708, and Section 0542.

Each Service member receives Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) independently, whether the Service members occupy temporary lodging jointly or separately. Each Service member may receive up to $290 per day. The Service members may not claim each other or the same dependent when determining the percentage of the locality per diem rate. Each Service member must certify that temporary lodging was occupied for the number of days that TLE is claimed. See JTR, par. 050601-B4c(1).

Each member who is eligible for Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) on or after October 1, 2022 may receive a total of 7 or 14 days of TLE, as determined by JTR, Table 5-13. For example, a Service member who is performing a Permanent Change of Station and uses 4 days of TLE between 27 September and 30 September, would still be eligible for an additional 3 or 10 days beginning 1 October.

Yes. If a Service member is eligible to use Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) after October 1, 2022, then they may receive up to 7 or 14 days of TLE. For example, a Service member who is moving from an old CONUS PDS to a new CONUS PDS and who received 10 days of TLE between 21 September and 30 September at the old CONUS PDS, may then receive an additional 4 days of TLE at their new CONUS PDS beginning 1 October.

To be eligible for extended Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE), a Service member must aggressively seek permanent Government-owned, Government-controlled, privatized or private-sector rental housing. A Service member is not eligible for extended TLE if he or she intends to purchase or build a house for personal convenience.

The Service member must register for extended TLE with an official at their installation and provide a statement indicating his or her expected first and last day of extended TLE. A Service member receiving extended TLE must inform the official in writing of his or her efforts to find permanent housing every 10 days and must keep all lodging receipts as documentation. See JTR, par. 050604-A.